Killer to Canadian Prison: Au Revoir
Adapted from Canadian Media:
Convicted of shooting a Toronto man in 1989, Andrew John Wood simply walked away from the minimum security Frontenac Institution in Kingston, Ontario on June 13. Wood, 42, was discovered missing during an inmate count
Robert Ryan Glenn, 21, was found on the shoulder of a side road in Albion in February 1989. He had been shot in the head “execution style.” Wood was convicted of second-degree murder in Glenn’s death. Wood was serving a life sentence.
Officials are puzzled as to why Wood would risk his parole eligibility, as well as risk losing all the privileges he enjoyed at Frontenac. He was moved to Frontenac because of his good behavior.
Frontenac Institute has a minimum of security guards, no fences, prison walls or guard towers. Frontenac encourages autonomy to prepare inmates for their eventual release back into society.
Unsurprisingly, this is not the first time someone has walked away from Frontenac. In 2007, Robert Ongaro became the 5th person to escape from Frontenac. According to Correctional Service of Canada there were two escapes in 2006. Wood's escape is the first this year from the institution.
“Even though their offence may be severe, through a very careful analysis of each individual case and response to treatment needs, etc., offenders may present over time, less risk to re-offend or a low risk to public safety,” said Holly Knowles, a spokeswoman for Correction Services of Canada.
There was no immediate indication of what triggered the escape and “it would not be fair to speculate,” said Knowles.
Are these Canadians serious? How about, because he wanted to stop being in jail, however humane the “treatment.” Speaking of “treatment,” the only treatment they could give Wood’s victim was an embalming and a dignified funeral.
Lifer Escapes County Jail
Adapted from the Moultrie Observer, Moultrie Georgia:
Members of the Colquitt County Sheriff’s Office spent Monday afternoon and evening searching for an inmate who escaped.
CCSO Capt. Julius Cox, operations supervisor, said Anthony Moses Jordan, 31, of Norcross, escaped from the jail about 1:20 p.m. Monday. He had not been caught as of early Monday evening.
Jordan was able to escape when about 20 other inmates began acting like they were going to get into a fight while in the jail yard, Cox said. When a jailer went to break up the fight, which authorities believe was staged, someone helped Jordan climb onto the jail’s roof.
Once on the roof, Cox said Jordan took off his prison jumpsuit, jumped onto the roof of the jail’s control area then leapt onto the ground. One control room operator reported hearing a thump on the roof about the time of Jordan’s escape, and another jailer reported seeing him run through the jail’s parking lot.
Jordan was found guilty of burglary, two counts of armed robbery and two counts of aggravated assault stemming from a residential burglary in May. He was sentenced to two life sentences in prison plus 20 years on the charges.
Basque Rebels’ Plan to Escape Prison by ‘Copter is Foiled
From Spanish media:
13 June 2009--A plot by Basque separatists, including a would-be assassin of King Juan Carlos, to escape Huelva prison by helicopter and flee into Portugal, has been foiled according to the Interior Ministry.
One of the failed escapees is Jorge Garcia Sertutxa, convicted in 1995 of conspiring to kill King Juan Carlos and sentenced to 109 years in jail. Sertutxa and at least two other prisoners are being interrogated about their involvement in the plot. One of the prisoners' girlfriends and a lawyer from Bilbao are also reported to have been arrested.
That’s all for now. I still can’t believe the Canadians discuss the “treatment” of a murderer as if murder was a sickness and the killer is really a patient --or a victim. Oh well. I will be back when I have more escapes to tell you about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment